This year we celebrate the first decade of Jaffa’s first boulevard; let’s go back in time for a minute….
Hassan Back, the governor of Jaffa during the Ottoman Empire, was one of the developers of the city and in 1915 the first boulevard was inaugurated, as a response to Rothschild Blvd in TLV and named after Gamal Pasha. At this time the boulevard was the main traffic lane, crossing the orchards from North to South. The main public buildings and entertainment venues were built along this traffic lane.
During British colonialism the boulevard’s name was changed to King George Blvd and after 1948 its name was changed again to Jerusalem Blvd, named after city (the way to Jerusalem started from there).
The changes are just reflecting the turbulent times Jaffa went through along the history …